Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Someone Comes To Town

So I just finished reading the book "Someone Comes To Town, Someone Leaves Town" and I must say: That was a trippy book.

Seriously. It's like someone had a trippy dream and thought that the best thing he could do would be to write it down in its full, half-realized, half-logical, entirely trippy goodness. But this is not the point of my blog.

No, the point of my blog is that this was just one of a multitude (ok, a few) books that I've read lately that have been trippy fantasy set in Toronto. Why there is so much trippy fantasy set in Toronto, I cannot say. Is it something in the water, the air, the soil, the electricity flying through the city? I dunno. But reading all this trippy fantasy set in Toronto, where the nature of Toronto is a character in the book, it just makes me want to write a trippy fantasy set in Vancouver. It's unfathomably unfair to me that all the Canadian trippy fantasy is set in Toronto, and I wish to do something to fix this.

Unfortunately, I am not actually Canadian, and I think that if I tried to write a trippy Vancouver novel that my essential un-Canadian-ness would ruin it. I would do something like say Zee instead of Zed and just ruin the novel completely, or it would just come out that I'm an American pretender sucking away at the spirit of a foreign city and all the advent grade artsy folks who really like trippy urban fantasy would all look down their noses at me and sniff that I'm not good enough.

And that I write sentences that are too long.

But aside from this deep-seated feeling of inadequacy, I still want to write a trippy urban fantasy set in Vancouver. Just for balance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home